Thursday, February 25, 2010

Educational Computer Software

From a student's perspective, I believe that a good integration of all three methods - drill/tutoring; teacher-directed inquiry; and constructivist, student-directed inquiry, would make for an overall good school year experience. I as a student, appreciate the change and the various ways of being able to learn the material. Having different methods, allows students to take note as to which method best works for them and to consider why others do not work as favorable.

Since I haven't made it to being an actual teacher just yet, I'm not sure if it is feasible to assume that as a teacher, I would see myself using each method at least once throughout the school-year.

- I would use the drill/tutoring method if I was trying to teach my students spelling or perhaps their multiplication table, etc. I personally used that method when I was learning the multiplication table and I found it to be a tremendous help. It allowed me to focus as well as test my own knowledge and notice which area I needed help in.

- I would use the teacher-directed inquiry perhaps if I was walking my students through a science project or an arts & crafts activity because I would be able to instruct them step by step and direct them through to obtain an final project. I believe this method would also assist me when teaching them mathematics, such as long division. At certain times, I do believe guidance and direction can assist students; however, knowing when to let them learn on their own is also key. It's important to ensure that the students are given just the right amount of direction before having them work on their own.

- Which brings me to the the third method constructivist, student-directed inquiry. This would be useful to me in my classroom setting because I would hopefully be able to have students reach their zone of proximal development. I could use this method when having them learn the states and work in teams to figure out which states go where on a map. The students will enjoy working upon their own direction if given the appropriate tools.

I would also, definitely incorporate technological tools such as computers, laptops, smartboards, etc. in order to enhance each of the methods.

At this point, I don't exactly gravitate to one particular method versus another because I would really like to initially at minimal test each method out on my classroom to see what works best and possibly conclude why the other method(s) may not. I don't want to limit my options just yet without actually seeing them in action.

3 comments:

  1. although all three methods have upsides in education, i don't agree that they all should be used in the classroom. only because in a lot of schools classes only have a limited time to use these programs like once a week if that. I believe that this time would be better spent with teacher directed inquiry, rather then with something like a drill and kill exercise which can be done in the classroom without the support of these programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellly -- I think your "wait and see" approach is wise, for both the reasons you note (what do the kids need? what can they do?) and also for Joe's reason -- what resources will be available to you? Those things will all play a big role in determining what to use how and when.

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you approach the subject by stating “a good integration of all three methods” would make for an overall good school year experience. I agree that using the three methods in various ways can help reach various student goals and different learning styles. As much as we do not want use too much drill/tutoring it can be a useful resource when memorization is needed, as you said with multiplication. I have also found with younger students some drill/tutoring is useful for learning sight words. I also think that the teacher-direct inquiry and constructivist approaches should be the majority of the teaching and learning used in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete