Thursday, January 14, 2010

Technology Integration Statement

Technology Integration: (1st blog)

My current thinking regarding the proper role of technology is that technology if appropriately used can be an essential tool for any teacher. One great example which comes to mind is the SMART board which is currently being used in various classrooms. The SMART board allows the teacher to enhance their lessons in a very fun and interactive way. I was able to observe the SMART board in action this past summer during a field experience assignment. I noticed that the students were very excited about participating if it meant they had an opportunity to use the SMART board. I thought that was awesome that students would show such excitement over a lesson.

I reviewed my Educational Philosophy and I wrote about being able to find or utilize various methods in order to adhere to the needs of several students, as well as keeping them enthusiastic about learning. I know that technology can be a great tool in classrooms. Technology allows for lessons to be more interactive, interesting, and memorable.

3 comments:

  1. I think your observation about new technologies engaging new students is accurate -- I have seen the same thing in classrooms. Some things I have wondered about though: how much of the engagement is because of the novelty of the thing? Will it keep students engaged over time? Is there a proper balance of using different technologies to keep their use novel? I don't know the answer to these questions (though I have suspicions). These questions might be things to explore over the next few months.

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a lover of the smart board as well I have seen how powerful it is and how the much the students can really learn from it while also enjoying it technological power. However, I have to question if this high powered technology falls on deaf ears being used in grade and grammar school classrooms? although at that young age the students can appreciate the technology, its uses have to be dummied down to meet the capacities of the younger students. Is this an abuse of the technology by limiting its capabilities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nelly, I can appreciate your understanding of educational technology. You seem to have a good grasp on the current technologies available to educators, and I'm also impressed by your enthusiasm regarding the use of the smart board in your class. Also, being a fan of words, I appreciate your use of the word "adhere" when discussing the teacher accommodating the needs of the students. For decades and generations, it was the other way around: students were asked to adhere to the needs of the teacher. Your rhetoric and tone imply that you understand the brave new world of the student-centered classroom, and that you recognize that it is still a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete